Monday, November 19, 2007

November Appointment

I heard the baby's heartbeat today at the doctor's office. He warned me that we might not be able to detect it this week, but thought it would be good to try. I had never seen the small doppler machine before, and I must say it is rather silly looking. It resembles like a kid's kareoke set. The doc maneuvers the microphone looking thing around on your belly and you both listen to what looks like a tyke-sized juke box. Just when the complete ridiculousness of this contraption was mulling around in my brain, and I was beginning to think that it was not going to work out at all, doc found the heartbeat. It was a rapid little "whoosh whoosh". So cool!

The appointment seemed to take forever because we had to go over all sorts of medical history stuff, ground rules, recommendations, lab work, etc. I saw 5 people, including the doctor. Surprisingly, the person who made me laugh the most was the lab nurse. I am usually v-e-r-y squeemish about needles. She was great, though - laughed me right through it talking about everything she was looking forward to for Thanksgiving dinner and how all her kids were going to eat up all the turkey and sweet potatoes, leaving her no left overs again this year.

The down side of the appointment was a brief glimpse into the restrictions that will be levied on my existence as we go along, including restrictions on travel. Sorry, Greg - I would really like to come to your graduation in May, but it seems highly unlikely. My summer will be spent here in Melbourne.

At the end of that seemed like all day, but was actually 2 hours (just liked they had told me it would be), I was sent home with an "all's well, keep up the good work" report and a return visit date in December.

No comments: