Monday, November 5, 2012

Despicable Me Halloween

Halloween this year was a family affair - all of us dressed up as characters from the movie Despicable Me.  Scott was Gru, Meg was the little girl that wears the pink hat all the time (Edith, I think), and Brian and I were minions.  Scott loved it.  We watched the movie a little bit at a time for weeks ahead, and he was very excited about all of us dressing up in a theme together.  He would even get a wicked little gleam in his eye and remind me that Gru was in charge of the minions, so we had to set the rule about parents still being parents even though we were dressed up as minions.  There were 2 funny sidetracks that happened during our Halloween preparations: 1) just days before Halloween Scott announced that he had changed his mind about being Gru and that he wanted to be Gru's dog. Fortunately, I was able to convince him that I could not make him a dog costume because only Riggs and Lowry could dress up like the dog and that they didn't really like Halloween, so they would not let me dress them in costume.  This was the only logic that made sense to him.  The idea that he already had a Gru costume was completely irrelevant. (If any of you have seen this movie, you know how incredibly difficult it would have been to make him look like that dog...) 2) I used eyebrow pencil to give Scott some bushy Gru eyebrows, which almost backfired because "Boys don't wear makeup!"  Fortunately, we overcame that last minute show stopper with some words about how you can pretend to be other things using girl makeup, and that you only wear it for pretending on Halloween.  Whew... dodged a bullet on that one. 



No comments: